Thursday, July 14, 2011

Everything As A Product

i once took a class that its primary goal was to carefully teach students how to analyze patterns in consumer's behaviors. People or consumers were pretty much broken down in different categories that eventually determined their final purchase of an object. much of such teachings were common sense. for example, someone would tend to buy things more often if he or she was more bold on other things; others, who were shy tended to save their money. now something that has ever stuck with me from taking that class is that literally everything can be, and is a product. a product by definition is:
"thing produced by labor or effort"[1] or the "result of an act or a process",[2] and stems from the verb "produce", from the Latin prōdūce(re) '(to) lead or bring forth'. Since 1575, the word "product" has referred to anything produced.

the definition goes a little further in explaining that the purpose of a product is to satisfy a want or a need. now, along with this we were taught that while it is possible to create a want, it is impossible to create a Need; i agree.

This link doesn't surprise me at all. I must admit that my first reaction to it was very judgmental; yet the more i watched, i realized how much truth there is to what it is attempting to offer the consumers. nothing deep here, but another thought came upon me. I asked myself, who really is the product or consumer in this situation? the obvious answer would be the person who purchases the app. its hard to imagine that one app will be enough to fulfill the intricate need of the human heart. it wouldn't be long for the "consumer" to go on his/her quest on seeking another product to fill their needs or wants. Sometimes, this feeling of filling in the void even extends to God. While there is nothing wrong with acknowledging that God does fulfill every need that we have, i believe there is some misconception in perceiving that it is His function. In other words, I find myself thinking that God is a product and I am the consumer; i had to repent hence for prayers such as declaring Him as the creator, for my thinking was wrong. God's main purpose is NOT to fulfill me, but to reach far and wide with His glory; which happens to fulfill everything on its path. rather than Him only existing to fulfill my needs, or in some cases wants, is limiting glory.
with a society full of messages that we are consumers exists, how easy it is to believe otherwise.

No comments: